Buying a new car can be a stressful process, from dealing with hefty price tags to rapid depreciation as soon as you drive off the lot, it’s no wonder people often turn to buying a used car in Ontario. Used cars offer a more cost-effective solution as well as the added benefits of lower insurance rates, slower depreciation, and the opportunity to get a higher-end models for less, which is why it makes perfect sense that we have been seeing a surge in demand for used cars in Ontario.
Now with that said, the process of buying a used car can be difficult if you are not prepared for it, which is why we want to help. If you’re considering buying a used car, we have put together a list that outlines what you need to know to ensure you’re well-equipped before you make that purchase.
1. Research is Key: The first step to buying a used car in Ontario is thorough research. Dive deep into online platforms, local dealerships, and classified ads that showcase an array of options. Reviews from credible automotive websites and consumer reports can provide insights into a car’s reliability, performance, and potential issues. Remember, used cars come with their own stories; understanding these can be crucial.
2. The UVIP: When looking for a used car, make sure the seller you are in contact with provides you with the Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP). It’s not just a bunch of paperwork—it’s the car’s life story. It’s like a used car package and in Ontario, this used car package offers insights into the car’s history, its past owners, any outstanding liens, and, importantly, the wholesale and retail value. It’s your first line of defense against potential scams or hidden issues.
3. Safety and Emissions Tests: Ontario takes the safety and environmental impact of vehicles seriously. Before a car changes hands in Ontario (unless it’s between family members), it needs this certificate to show it meets basic safety standards. These tests ensure you’re getting a vehicle that won’t let you down.
4. Drive Before You Buy:
Just as you wouldn’t marry someone after just looking at their online profile, don’t buy a car without taking it for a spin. How’s the ride? Any funny noises? Is the alignment off? This is where your future car’s quirks (or red flags!) will come to light.
5. Private Sellers vs. Dealerships: There’s an age-old debate about the benefits and pitfalls of both. Opting for a private seller might yield a more attractive price tag. However, dealerships can provide peace of mind with additional warranties, professional inspections, and often a more comprehensive used car package. Weigh your options based on what you prioritize—cost savings or added security.
6. Negotiation and Price: Before initiating any negotiation, arm yourself with knowledge. Understand the fair market value of the used cars in Ontario that you are eyeing. Want to know if you’re getting a good deal? Tools like the Red Book can be instrumental. Remember, every car has its own quirks and features, making each negotiation unique. Don’t hesitate to walk away if a deal doesn’t feel right.
7. Financing Options: “Can you finance a used car?” is a common question among first-time buyers. The good news is that financing options abound in Ontario. Lots of dealerships have their own financing department, including our very own dealership, Rogers Motors.
8. Completing the Sale- License, Registration, and HST: When you’ve negotiated your price, and finally decide to take the plunge, don’t forget the formalities. Transfer the ownership, get it registered at a ServiceOntario centre, and slap on a new license plate. Oh, and don’t forget that HST? In Ontario, you’ll be required to pay the provincial sales tax, so brace yourself, because you’ve got to pay it, either at the dealership or during registration for private sales. Always keep copies of the bill of sale, Used Vehicle Information Package, and Safety Standards Certificate for future reference.
The journey of buying a used car can be daunting at first, but it just requires a little patience, research and knowledge. By using the tips we have provided and being diligent in your approach, you’re well on your way to making a decision that aligns with both your needs and budget. So, before you take the plunge, remember these tips.
When you are ready to start looking into the world of used cars, drop by our dealership at Rogers Motors. We pride ourselves on being more than just a dealership; we are your trusted guides in this journey. At Rogers Motors, our dedicated team is here to answer all your questions, ensuring you’re equipped with the knowledge and confidence to find the perfect used car. Let us simplify the process, alleviate your concerns, and help you navigate the ins and outs of buying a used car in Ontario.